Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 172: 'Two's a Charm'

“Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” (Lk 2.41-51)

For Joseph and Mary this question is difficult to understand since it is precisely the reason why they searched for Jesus, because He is ‘not in his father’s house.’ Here, Mary focuses on herself and Joseph, while in Luke’s words Jesus’ first priority should be in His Father’s house.

‘How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?’

Today I am celebrating my second year in priesthood. It’s funny because we usually ‘celebrate’ anniversaries on its first year or ten, twenty five, or fifty depending on the occasion of the celebration. Just last week, a brother in the community celebrated his thirsty six years in priesthood. I thought it should be big but it turned out to be just like one of the ordinary days except that he presided the Mass.  I on the other hand, just in my second year, thought having this kind of celebration feels a bit off. I should have done this last year. But because “I did not know that I must be in my Father’s house,” I found no sufficient ‘reason’ to have this kind of celebration.

Luke opens his Gospel with Zechariah serving in the temple and he closes it with the disciples blessing God in the temple. In the Gospel today, Jesus reiterates that ‘it is only fitting that He should be in His Father’s house.’

This is a very fitting message for people like me who ‘did not know that I must be in my Father’s house; who forgot and did not know how and why should I be in my Father’s house. 
1)      Unlike Zechariah who served in the temple, it was not clear to me that being in my ‘Father’s house’ I should be involved in service -  to be where the Father wants me and to do what the Father commands me.
2)      Unlike the disciples who were continually in the temple blessing God, I was not certain that to be in my ‘Father’s house’ I should be involved in praising and blessing God - that I am blessed by God and that being a priest I am tasked to be a blessing to others.

Today marks the beginning of my third year as a priest and I wanted to start it right. I believe this is a fitting start, to offer and celebrate a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God, ‘the Lord of harvest,’ and share the joy of the harvest with you.  As I renew my commitment as a priest may I be reminded of the two things I must do – to be of service and to be a channel of God’s blessings.

No comments: