Sunday, May 5, 2013

MY JOURNEY TO MOTHERHOOD


by Naty Viray 

My childhood started with lollipops and baby dolls. I didn’t realize that a few years more it will end with roses and a baby. Yes, my motherhood began a little early than expected because I fell in love earlier than I thought I would.

on their trip to Naples
Falling in love with a man I married is one of the major decisions that brought me into the journey of motherhood sooner than some young ladies at my age. I got married and became a mother at the age of 16. My life went into a tremendous change from dependency to full responsibility. It was not a joke to carry a life in your womb. It was like I was in charge of giving life to my unborn child, more so at a very tender age of 16.

I gave birth to my first born and a family was formed. Years after I gave birth to another three kids and the family transformed to a bigger and a happier one. It was not easy raising four kids but the challenges were made sweeter because I was rearing them with a good and responsible husband by my side. Yes, life was tough in so many aspects but it doesn’t matter how tough it was and how young a person is, if you put your heart and soul into it and put God in the midst, he or she can make it happen.
with her daughter Jennifer

I remember how tiring it was to raise my kids especially during their younger years. It was physically exhausting. It was a selfless responsibility. It was harder because I too was still in my maturing age. My experience was like growing with them. But in spite all the hardships, the beauty in it was seeing them grow healthy and active. It was an endless joy and happiness for me and my husband. During their younger years I would wish that they remain babies so that they will always remain cute and innocent. I want them to remain with us for life. But when I feel tired, I also wish that they grow old and become self-sufficient. Then I realized I really do not need to wish hard because they will take their own stride.

their youngest son Jerwin
One day you just wake up and see how time flies and how they grew faster. Until one day again you see them taking their own journey in building their own career and have a life of their own. And the journey to parenthood is now within their reach. As a mother, you suddenly feel out of touch of everything that is happening. You have no more control of their lives because they are now self-sufficient and independent enough to make their own decisions. And then they start with their own lives leaving me and my husband, and then again I realized there is not much difference really being a mom to growing kids and a mom to grown up children. Earlier on when you have full control over them, you are tired and happy. Now when you are not in control over them, you feel tired too and happy - tired because you do not stop wishing that they make good in life; tired because you want to see them succeed and become the persons you want them to be; tired because you do not stop caring for them. Despite the tiredness, I am also happy because it gives me joy to see them successful. It gives me a true sense of fulfillment and assurance that I did my job well for them because I see them going through the same journey that I did and I believe that I gave them the right and strong foundation, the reason why they are taking their own journeys quite well.

taken during the 20th Founding Anniversary of Karilagan
Just like my own path, there may be rough and bumpy roads along their own journeys but I want my own children to know that they can hold my hand anytime they tumble down because a mother’s love is the kind of love that no one can replace. So now when I talk about my journey, I can only smile and tell myself that after all, there is no regret for being a mother too soon because it only means realizing my worth as a parent too soon, too. Now that my job as a mother is ‘almost done,’ I have my full life to live with my husband as we both hold hands and travel the journey of togetherness since God made us husband and wife; since the time we promised to live together until the end of time, until the end of the rainbow. 

(My deepest gratitude to 'Tita Naty' for allowing me to post/share her story on my blog)

No comments: