Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 158: 'Holy Trinity, Undivided Unity'

Mt 28. 17-20

Verse:
17 – And whey they saw him they worshiped him; but some doubted.
(1.20) – But as he considered this the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.”
18 – And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
(1.21) – she will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.
19 – Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
(1.22) – All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
20 – teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of age.
(1.23) – “Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel” (which means, God with us).

Five (5) main points:
1. God never forgets. (Is 49.15) – “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.
The devil’s suggestion: “The Lord had abandoned you.”

2. God is faithful. (Heb 10.23) – Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.
The devil’s suggestion: “You are pathetic, you are hopeless.”

3. God calls. (Is 43.1) – “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.”
The devil’s suggestion: “Do not believe that.”

4. God is alive. (Ex 3.14) – God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” (I will be what I will be) And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
The devil’s suggestion: “God is dead.”

5. God is LOVE. (1Jn 4.8) – He who does not love does not know God; for God is love.
The devil now loses his attempts, for it does not know God.

The first Reading (Dt 4.32-34, 39-40) assures us of the power of God. ‘Know therefore this day, and lay it to your heart, that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. Therefore you shall keep his statues and his commandments, which I command you this day, that it may go well with you, and with your children after you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which the LORD your God gives you forever.

Do not believe in the suggestion of the devil; reject its empty promises; answer its words of lies by the words of God, for the word of the LORD is upright (Ps 33.4).

Do not fear for you will not be alone. Be bold and take courage. Be led by the Spirit to the Light, to the Power and to the Truth of God, the great I AM, the Emmanuel, the one who promised, ‘and lo, I am with you always, to the close of age.’

O most Holy Trinity, Undivided Unity; Holy God, Mighty God, God Immortal, be adored. Amen.

No comments: