Wednesday, April 28, 2010

When God went fishing…

Every vocation is unique because each person is called by God according to his or her name. The call begins with a religious experience – an intimate desire to be with God. I never knew I had a religious vocation until I became a Dominican.

I am a nurse by profession and it has been a dream to migrate and work in the US. In 1997 I began working on my papers through the encouragement of a relative and a friend based in the States when upon the invitation of my friend’s sister, I came to Taiwan instead to earn money and to gain experience at the same time. It was my first time to set foot outside the Philippines so there were a mixture of excitement and trepidation. I thought it was good luck that brought me here since my work in a computer company has nothing to do with my profession. At that time I had very minute knowledge in computer and was ignorant with computer programming, repair or parts. Yet I was hired, was assigned to a very important department and finished my three year contract. My work rewarded me with a good salary and opportunities to meet both Filipino and Taiwanese friends, and enjoy the luxury of being in a different environment and culture.

Aside from work I also involved myself to church activities where I spent my Sunday afternoon practicing and preparing for the liturgy. The spirit of community life is strong and alive even if we only gather once a week or during the celebration of big feasts like Christmas and Easter. Whenever I get tired or bored during weekdays I usually go to the city either to use the internet, read a book in a coffee shop, or just hop around the city square. I considered myself adventurous because I never tire of discovering new things, or would rather choose something exceptional against the common trend. I am a happy person and I always look at the positive side of the not so good situation. I don’t socialize much but when I do I go with my close friends.

I am the third among the brood of four boys. My mother passed away when I was seventeen and my father remarried two years after. According to my mother I am the most obedient among her children. As a child we love to play and do things most children do. However my mother would always asked me to go with her whenever there were prayer meetings, mass or novenas in the church. I complained from time to time but the allure of having sweets and pastries if I come with her left me with no choice. It was at this early stage that I have learned to pray the rosary. It was also the start of my becoming active to church activities either becoming a member of a choral group or joining a youth group. Most of the time if I am not at home, I am with friends in the church.

When I was in college I used to come to mass almost every day. My school is adjacent to a Dominican University which has a huge chapel. However I never knew of the Dominicans until I met one here in Taiwan. Anyway, the habit of participating in the mass gave me the kind of serenity and courage to get through the difficulties of losing a mother and the pressure of university life. Some classmates knew of my habit and would even tease me for being overly religious but often asked me to pray for them. I remain active in church activities that it became a part of my life. It is through this humble beginning that my faith grew which I believe led me to search for what is most essential in life.

In 1999 I joined a charismatic group known as El Shaddai, a catholic renewal movement which holds their Sunday service at Fu Jen University. I especially like the way they conduct their liturgy that aside from singing and dancing, they also have Bible sharing or study, or sharing of God’s message. They hold mass as a culmination of the whole activity. It was at this moment that my faith in God became more and more alive which I believe helped me find what has been my greatest desire. I began to see my life differently that I realized amidst of the luxury I enjoy, the good relationship I have I am not happy. There is an empty space in my heart that I don’t see anyone or anything in this world can fill it. I began to question my existence and the purpose for which I work hard to achieve my dreams. I thought if none of what I am achieving can fulfill my heart’s contentment then what is the use of laboring for it?

At the same year a Filipino Dominican priest became the spiritual director of the group since he lives nearby and he at that time was available to look after a group of OCW. In one of his homilies he shared about his life changing experience, from having a “CEO” lifestyle in a school where he was assigned to, to having a very simple lifestyle with the Chinese brothers. His voluntary work in Taiwan was the turning point of his religious life because for the first time since he was ordained priest, it was during his stay here that he felt he is one. He felt that God works in a mysterious way because everything that has taken place in his life like his coming to Taiwan was not in his plan. And yet he found himself and God found him. At that moment I knew clearly what is missing in my life; God is searching for a place in my life. Since then I even pray harder, asking the Lord to enlighten me and to speak to me. And alas, on the eve of my birthday, I found myself answering the call of God. It was vivid to me that I want to follow Christ to be of service to others.

It did not stop there because it is not clear to me which among the different ways of following Christ should I choose. Perhaps I became too excited that I forgot to ask God about it when he spoke to me that night. Now another question troubled me and as my practice I resorted to prayers for an answer. Then one day in the congregation, out of the blue the priest asked if there were unmarried men in the audience, invited us saying should we want to enter the religious life and be a priest, he could be of help. I have got an answer to my question and that invitation never left me. As it happened I talked to the priest and told him that I want to enter the religious life. Then one thing led to the other and the story goes on.

I would be using the whole magazine to write every detail of my vocation story which will surely deny others to share theirs. I don’t want to do that so I would just content myself in telling everyone that God loves us and He wants us to have a happy life. Jesus said that the reason He came here is first to give us life, second to have this life to the full (Jn 10:10b). If God intends to make us happy then we could ask ourselves if the life where living is really what God wants us to. If we are not happy in our present life or if we feel an inner emptiness which our career, ambition, relationship could not fulfill, then maybe God is calling you to serve him by being a religious. You may not realizing it but that maybe God’s plan for you. Whether you are convinced or still doubtful of your vocation to answer the call of God, my advice is don’t make any second thought, say Yes! And God will do the rest for you, your family, and even the persons you will meet along the way.

No comments: