Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I look (am) like Him! (Luke 8: 19-21)

In 2007, when my father came to Taiwan to attend my solemn profession to the Order of Preachers, many of my friends told us that he looks like me or vice versa. In other words, the similarity is very obvious that there is no way we can deny our father-son relationship.  Some of them even pointed out how I would look like when I reach (hopefully) the age of 60. I am grateful my father is naturally good looking (laughs).

On a serious note, in today’s Gospel, Luke narrated an incident on Jesus and His biological family. His mother and brothers (kin) wanted to have a word with Him but they could not reach him because of the large crowd gathered in the room. As soon as Jesus was notified that they are waiting outside, He asked and told the crowd, “He/she who listens to the word of God and acts on them is my brother, (sister), my mother.” Jesus is pointing out that to be part (member) of God’s family, we should be like Him in everyway, doing His will and doing every service out of love for God and men.


In this way, when people see us, they will be reminded not only of our biological familial relationship but most especially they will see the family of God – how God cares and willing to accept His people; how happy it is to be part of His family. As the psalmist said today “I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord!’” (Ps 122: 1-5)

No comments: