Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Dentist says I need to rest today!

Today is Sunday. I am supposed to be out already this time of the hour, going from one church to another to celebrate the Holy Eucharist or to preach, as my schedule reminds me. But this Sunday is an exemption. Obviously, I am at home trying to rest. Yes, I am down with swollen gums which according to the dentist I paid visit to two days ago was caused by too much and hard biting (Since my right lower second molar was extracted few years ago, it was left vacant that the upper molar irritates the gums whenever I chew).  I thought the swelling was caused by imminent colds so I didn’t care and that anti-inflammatory drugs and colds medication were the best remedy. As it turned out, it got worst. Lessons learned: don’t underestimate any swelling in our body and don’t be stubborn to seek medical intervention.

To add to the lessons learned, maybe God wants me to slow down. I have been continuously up beat since I became a priest four and a half months ago. I go to places all over the island, celebrating masses and giving talks in between. Moreover, I go to school almost every day to do my duty as the school’s chaplain, aside from my personal and communal activities. I get tired no doubt on that, even going home physically exhausted but I always have strength for the things I believe I am commissioned to do. Some people in the same league would tell me that such drive will eventually subsides or that I am this ecstatic since I am still enjoying the ‘honeymoon stage’. Their words make sense since a lot of them have been in the league several years or decades ahead of me. The truth and wisdom in their words are based on their experiences and a neophyte like me has to lend ears.

Slowing down is not equal to losing the drive to do what we have to do. It means we take time to recharge and reinvigorate so that we may be more useful and available for God and His works. Unfortunately, sickness sometimes is a way to realize that we need to slow down and take things easy, that although the spirit is willing the body needs recharging, needs to be healthy. And so, I am learning my lessons well. I hope to get better soon and I am determined to keep and stay healthy. Please kindly say a little prayer for me.

No comments: